Saturday, February 1, 2014

Write. Retreat. Ponder. Repeat.


Starting this blog was a whim. Things, life, the first few years (a decade for one) need to be talked about, hashed out in an external arena. The exterior of my self within the inner circle of my marriage doesn’t count either. In other words, my wife and I are of one mind on these things most of the time, maybe it’s all been said. I need an extra sounding board, so here I am.

This is difficult for me, and I haven’t even gotten warmed up. But writing is cathartic. Once you smash a crack in the dam, a little of that pent up water seeps through, and the swirling, violent mass behind it senses blood, or freedom, we’ll go with that, and wants out. Don’t we all crave freedom? Movement?

I wrote the blog’s intro post, the one with my kids still a baby and a toddler. Then that night I wrote this: “After setting up the blog and thinking about it, even making a post, it seems like a distraction. I didn’t want to write about it then, and I don’t really want to now. Maybe come back to this idea in the morning; if it still doesn’t gel, squash it.”

Then I went to watch an episode of the 4400 on Netflix, came back up and wrote post #2 so the night wouldn’t be a total waste. I wrote it in Word and didn’t think it would make it to the public eye. But there it is. I haven’t squashed the blog yet. Maybe the flood is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment